Hello! I’m Richard Thomas, a Job Success Specialist here at Merit America, and I’m thrilled to offer you an inside look at what you can expect during your first week in one of our programs. Not too long ago, I was in your shoes, joining Merit America as a learner myself. I understand the mix of excitement and uncertainty that fills your mind during that first week. That’s why I’m here to share my firsthand experience and provide you with valuable insights into what to expect during this crucial phase. As a former learner turned Job Success Specialist, I’ve witnessed the incredible growth and accomplishments of countless individuals like yourself. Together, we’ll navigate the challenges, celebrate the milestones, and pave the way toward your new career.
During your first week, you can anticipate the following key experiences:
- Orientation—Your first day will be all about getting oriented with Merit America. You’ll meet your coaches, learn about the program, and create a plan of action.
- Assessments—You’ll take a series of assessments to help your coaches identify your strengths and weaknesses. This information will be used to create a personalized learning plan for you.
- Coursework—You’ll begin your coursework during your first week. You’ll meet with your coaches regularly, participate in online discussions, and complete assignments.
- Networking—You’ll have the opportunity to network with other learners, instructors, and industry professionals. This is a great way to learn more about the field you’re interested in and make connections that could help you in your career.
- Support—You’ll have access to a variety of support resources,career coaching, peer support groups and more. These resources are there to help you succeed in your studies and reach your career goals.
To thrive in your Merit America program, here are some essential tips to keep in mind:
- Set realistic expectations—It’s important to remember that you’re not going to learn everything in your first week. It takes time and effort to master new skills.
- Be organized—It’s helpful to have a system for keeping track of your assignments, due dates, and other important information.
- Ask for help when you need it—Don’t be afraid to reach out to your coaches, classmates, or the support staff if you’re struggling with something.
- Get involved in the community—Merit America has a lot to offer, so take advantage of the opportunities to get involved. This is a great way to meet new people, learn more about the program, and make the most of your experience.
Finally, to ensure your progress and success in the program, consider the following personal recommendations:
- Secure the Essentials—Ensure you have a reliable internet connection and a functional computer to fully participate in online classes and complete assignments.
- Commit Consistent Time—Dedicate regular blocks of time each day to your studies, even if it’s just an hour or two. Consistency is key to making steady progress toward your goals.
- Seek Support—Don’t hesitate to ask for help whenever needed. The instructors and staff at Merit America are committed to your success and are readily available to assist you.
- Get involved in the community—Actively participate in the Merit America community to expand your network, gain unique perspectives, and seize new opportunities.
Your first week at Merit America will be an exciting whirlwind of activity, but it will also be an exciting time. By following these recommendations, you’ll have the opportunity to learn new things, meet new people and start your journey to a new career. We can’t wait to see what you accomplish!
If you’re interested in breaking into a new career in tech, Merit America can help! You’ll benefit from peer support and best-in-class coaching while earning industry-recognized credentials. Check out our career tracks and learn more about our programs HERE!